AMENDMENT TO REFERENDUM ACT
SLOGAN: “LET CANADIANS TRULY HAVE THEIR SAY”
- Currently individuals can express their political opinions only through participation in general elections. They don’t have the right to vote on most of the issues. Therefore, it is often that the elected individual in the representative assembly (Parliament) is not voting the way the people who voted for him wish him to vote, let alone those who did not vote for him. Taking into account that this situation creates a feeling of discourage and participation in election is about 50% of population, than there is no true representation of the individuals in legislation bodies.
- Referendums are rare and very costly. Although, modern technology allows to submit and count the votes in an easy and efficient way.
- Current system of petitions to the Parliament is highly inefficient. The process to apply and find the sponsoring MP is difficult. Most of the petitions are answered by the government with formal answers and do not bring any change.
- Right to vote is not only the privilege of the citizens, but their duty. In current situation most of the individuals have no efficient way to express their political views and are not represented.
- Create an electronic system allowing easily to suggest and support the questions for referendum.
- Forward to referendum every serious issue, including changes to legislation, taxes, immigration etc. Issues in foreign policy should be forwarded to electronic referendums too.
- Create incentive for people to vote at electronic referendums.
- Review of similar suggestions in other countries, especially Swiss experience.
- Development of the legislation
- Calculation of the costs
- Conduct discussions with government officials on feasibility of this proposal